A high-level Mexican delegation visited Saint Lucia on March 19-22, 2023, with the aim of following up on the Mexico-CARICOM-FAO initiative “Cooperation for adaptation and resilience to climate change in the Caribbean” and the School Food Feeding Program. The delegation met with officials from the Ministry of External Affairs, International Trade and Civil Aviation, and Diaspora Affairs to discuss bilateral cooperation between Saint Lucia and Mexico, as well as the status of ongoing projects under the Saint Lucia – Mexico Technical and Scientific Cooperation Program.
During the visit, the officials discussed the progress of the four ongoing projects, which include research and mapping of the biocultural and natural resources of the Dauphin Valley, heritage management to promote national identity and create new tourism experiences, availability of water in quantity and quality in a hydrographic basin, and strengthening of the capacities of Saint Lucia for the design and updating of its coastal geographic information.
More than 70 percent of three of the four projects under the technical and scientific program signed in October 2021 have been implemented, and over 200 people have participated or been involved in the training provided by dedicated and highly qualified professionals and technicians from Mexico.
The officials also identified areas for future cooperation with Mexico, including education, archiving of historical records in Saint Lucia, mapping of coastal and marine areas to include block and parcel numbers for the seabed, and partnership with the Sir Arthur Lewis Community College to build capacity in the technical division.
The government of Saint Lucia remains committed to its long-standing relationship with the government of Mexico and will continue to further strengthen its diplomatic interactions to benefit both nations and their citizens.
The Ministry of External Affairs, International Trade and Civil Aviation and Diaspora Affairs was represented by the following officials:
• Mr. Augustus Cadette – Permanent Secretary (Head of Delegation)
• H.E. Peter Lansiquot – Ambassador of Saint Lucia to Mexico
• Nancy Nicholas – Senior Foreign Service Officer
• Josette Maxwell, Project Manager, Office of the Prime Minister
• Maria Jean Baptiste – Foreign Service Officer (Desk Officer for Mexico)
• Shantelle Polius – Foreign Service Officer
The Mexican Delegation consisted of the following officials:
• H.E. Luis Manuel López-Moreno,Ambassador of Mexico to Saint Lucia
• Dr. Laura Elena Carrillo Cubillas, Executive Director of Mexican Agency for International Development Cooperation (AMEXCID)
• Actuary Gloria Sandoval Salas, General Director for Project Execution Abroad of AMEXCID.
• Dr. José Alfredo Galván Corona, Social, Human and Sustainable Development Coordinator of AMEXCID.
• Mr. Luis Antonio Medina Romero – Deputy Chief of Mission, Embassy of Mexico
• Mrs. Marva Charlery-Djerel -Executive Relations Officer, Office of the Ambassador, Embassy of Mexico
• Erick Martín Medina Rodríguez, AMEXCID Communication Consultant